Pre-Development Review

A Pre-Development Review is a meeting with key representatives from various City departments to assist developers in identifying critical development issues and requirements specific to their project. Use this option for a new commercial/multi-family building or addition to one, rezoning, subdivision, new parking lot or land disturbance of one acre or more. This is not an option for review of single or two-family residential construction or remodeling projects. Call 864-1500 or visit to set up a Pre-Development Review.

lady serving a male customer at citizen resource center counter

Citizen Resource Center

The Citizen Resource Center (CRC) enables the city to work directly with citizens to resolve issues affecting the entire community, such as:
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Dangerous buildings
  • Noise disturbances
  • Signs in the public right-of-way
  • Tall weeds/grass
  • Traffic and street issues
  • Trash violations.
The CRC directs citizen requests, questions and problems to the departments which can best implement change or provide answers. Contact the CRC in three ways:
  • Submit a request online.
  • Call 417-864-1010 to speak to a resource coordinator.
  • Get the GoSpringfieldMO app and submit requests on your phone. Find it on the App Store or Google Play.
exterior of dilapidated bungalow

Enforcement of Nuisance and Housing Code

In 2019, Springfield City Council passed several ordinances designed to:

  • speed up the process for mowing overgrown lawns
  • require rental homes to be registered to help the city find property owners
  • levy fines against people with repeat weed violations
  • allocate more money to tear down dangerous buildings

Under current city code, the City’s Building Development Services (BDS) department can fine property owners $50 a day up to a total of $1,000 — the maximum fine allowed by state law — for not abating nuisances as ordered by BDS. Landlords can be assessed up to the $2,000 maximum for non-owner-occupied homes.

If the City fixes a violation, the cost is billed to the property owner. Contact the Citizen Resource Center to report violations.

Neighborhood Police Area Representative Program

You call 911 and ask for an officer to come out, which MAY solve a problem in the short-term. However, you know from experience that it will happen again. This may be a long-term problem to be solved by your Police Area Representative (PAR) officer.

A PAR officer is a direct contact for citizens dealing with neighborhood issues. PAR officers use both criminal codes and other, non-criminal City codes in addressing complaints or concerns. When PAR officers get involved in a neighborhood issue, their job is not to find fault, but to coordinate and facilitate efforts in hopes of solving the identified problem.

Get more information about PAR officers on the Springfield Police Dept. website.